Tuesday, May 24, 2005

observations from home

It is HOT. I moved back to Mississippi a week ago, and who knew that summer would come so quickly? I was away this past weekend, and when I stepped off the plane at nearly midnight last night after several days in a place where I needed a jacket, I was nearly bowled over by the heat and humidity -- it was nearly 80ยบ! I have forgotten -- but certainly not missed!!! -- summers in Mississippi. The forecast calls for cooler weather over the next few days, but thankfully I will be getting away from here yet again on Thursday.

I resumed my walking regimen today, and I was astonished at people's response. Granted, it was midday, but I was still the only person out walking at all. In the places where there were no sidewalks, I think the passing drivers were so surprised by my presence that most of them moved completely over into the opposite lane. I've been walking on streets for a couple years now, and there was something very clearly different about this. Maybe it was just the fact that I was out exercising in such dreadful heat... or maybe it was just that anyone was exercising at all. I don't know.

Anyway, that's life. Of course there's more, but I have to save something to write about later, right? :-)

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?